Please click the [ Mark Complete ] button at the bottom of this page when you’ve completed these goals:
- Explain how it could be possible that two SSCC codes are required for one UPC number.
- List the five formats in which we send SSCC barcodes to customers.
- Explain to a customer how IBN can create SSCC codes for them.
- As an IBN member, be able to locate and log in to our SSCC Codes web page.
We can create SSCC codes for your customers.
Serial Shipping Container Code (SSCC):
This is an 18-digit number used to identify logistics units.
It is based on a UPC (or EAN or ITF14) number.
A unique SSCC code is usually needed for each shipping pallet:
- Product A (with one UPC number) is on two pallets,
- …and each pallet has 48 units of Product A,
- …then two SSCC codes are usually required for that one Product A UPC number.
Ordering SSCC Codes from IBN:
- Your customer needs to purchase the correct quantity of general barcode images from your website (if you have that product on your site).
For example, if they need 5 x SSCCs, they need to purchase 5 x general barcode images
(If you don’t have general barcode images as a product on your site, the customer can purchase the ITF-14 carton codes product instead).
- Once your customer has purchased these, please send us the following information:
– The UPC numbers,
– How many SSCCs are needed against each UPC number.
- We will create the barcode images and email them to you in 5 formats (JPEG, EPS, TIFF, BMP and PDF).
- You forward them to your customer.
If you get an enquiry from a customer about SSCC (shipping) codes, you can point your customer to the information on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_shipping_container_code
See also this IBN web page for viewing by our members only: https://internationalbarcodes.org/kb/sscc-codes/